Pill splitter (cutter) device
What is this product?
As the cost of pharmaceuticals continues to rise, taking advantage of the way drugs are manufactured and priced can save you considerable amounts of money.
Most of the cost of pharmaceuticals is wrapped up in research and marketing, not manufacturing. Many drugs are priced the same regardless of the dose because drug manufacturers don't want cost to be a determining factor when doctor's are deciding how much of a drug to prescribe. Therefore, a patient can order the larger pill that contains double the dose, cut the pill in half and save up to 50%.
Which drugs can be cut?
As a general guideline, the following drugs can be split:
- Cholesterol drugs (i.e., Lipitor)
- Blood pressure drugs (ACE inhibitors and Angiotensin Receptor Blockers)
- Antidepressants (i.e., Zoloft)
- Valtrex (anti viral drug)
- And others if it corresponds to what your doctor prescribed.
Is pill splitting safe?
You might wonder if cutting pills is safe. Despite the health concerns raised by drug manufacturers, recent studies show that pill cutting, when done correctly, is perfectly safe for many drugs.
Correct pill cutting does not involve kitchen knives and a cutting board. Most pharmaceutical companies manufacture pill cutters designed to make pill cutting easier. Simply open the cutter and set the pill inside. Then close the cutter and a blade cuts through the pill. It is important to check the condition and orientation of the pill cutting blade. If the blade is loose or not level, your pills will not be cut evenly.
How to cut pills with this device?
1. Place the pill cutter on a flat surface to make sure the cut is straight
2. Open the cover of your pill cutter
3. Pour your pills into a small dry bowl
4. One by one, put pills into your pill cutter (Note - the pill should be secured (flush with the sides of your pill cutter) to ensure a straight cut.)
5. Stabilize your pill cutter with one hand
6. With your free hand, press the top down slowly but firmly (ensuring that the blade travels completely through your pill).
7. Remove the split pills from your pill cutter
8. Place the split pills in your clean, dry prescription bottle
9. Please store your pills safely in a cool, dry place, and ensure your pills are stored away from children and pets